SPORT, WYWIADY, POLONIA

Megadeth's Chris Broderick: "Party time is over"

On July 27th a legendary band from Los Angeles Megadeth will entertain the heavy metal fans at a Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival in Holmdel, NJ. Here is what the band’s lead guitarist Chris Broderick had to say about his tale with Megadeth, Mayhem and another tour: the Big 4, which will feature perhaps the best ever line up in heavy metal history.

Let’s go back in time to 1983. Dave Mustaine leaves Metallica and - with Dave Ellefson - forms Megadeth. What was Chris Broderick doing back then?

CB: Well I was 13 and I was probably in my bedroom with my guitar, practicing. I was just getting introduced to that whole music scene and to be honest I was not into anything else at that age.

What did you listen to as a kid? Did you dream about being in a band?


CB: It all started with Van Halen and then other shredder guys: Rhoads and Steve Vai. Of course at that time I was definitely in that mindset of dreaming about being one of them.

And your dream came true! You are in Megadeth! In 2008 you replaced Glen Drover and funny enough you were brought in by his brother Shawn. How did that happen?

CB:
I know, right? I couldn't've asked for a better recommendation (laughter). But to be quite honest Glen had some saying in it too. As soon as Glen made his decision about leaving they both had a series of discussions on who could do the job. They considered a bunch of guys, but it were my youtube clips that convinced them (laughter). So I think at the end they both recommended me and here I am. Thanks to the internet and technology (laughter).



Dave Mustaine once said that when he partnered up with you, it reminded him of when "Ozzy Osbourne met Randy Rhoads". He also called you "the best Megadeth guitarist ever". Do you agree?CB: I don’t know, that's a big statement. I'm very glad and grateful that Dave thinks about me that way. It's very humbling, but trying to assess who's the best is like apples and oranges. It’s all about personal preferences.

On February 8, 2010, David Ellefson rejoined the band, replacing James LoMenzo – how is it to have him back?CB: It's awesome! There is this great camaraderie between him and Mustaine. To see them interact with each other is just amazing. It’s also a great privilage to play with such a big metal icon. He really is a great player and a good guy. We have a good time together on and off the stage.

This summer you will be performing on a Main Stage of Mayhem festival with Disturbed, Godsmack, Trivium – have you played with these bands before?

CB:
I have toured with Disturbed back in 2006 on a European tour. I was with Nevermore at that time and we were opening up for them and they were really gracious. They're such a cool band and good guys.

With Mayhem you will be on the road for 35-days. Are you looking forward to it? What can fans expect from you?CB: It is going to be a long trip, but we are ready for it. Each day we will try to give our fans our best, so they can expect the same level of insanity. We will be at our best.

Will fans have a chance to meet and greet you?

CB:
There definitely will be some daily autograph sessions, but - as usually - they are organized by a 3rd party, such as our fan club, so I really don't know too many details about it.

Before Mayhem you will be in Europe making history with the Big 4 tour. Which number - according to you - is Megadeth?

CB:
Among the Big 4? Well, the line up goes like this: Anthrax, us and then Slayer and Metallica. So it's about right.

The historic tour will also come to the US and rock the Yankee Stadium. Why only one show?CB: It’s not the only US show. We’ve played in Indio back in April. California was awesome: 55000 fans and just incredible energy. As far as September schedule goes - from what I've heard there is some talk about more shows, but I am not involved with any of these. My job is to be ready to play anywhere, anytime.

Anthrax’s Scott Ian said that in New York you all will come out and do a part of “Am I Evil?” together. Any more special treats?CB: Not that I know of. If there will be something special I would think it’s gonna be an improv, a last minute, spontaneous thing. Plus if it is to be a surprise it’d better remain a secret, right? It should not be something that you would expect to happen.

What is your favorite band/album or song out of the Big 4?CB: Obviously Metallica’s Master of Puppets. This song is awesome and this whole album has just so many great songs. When it first came out I could really relate to it. And now - when I listen to it - I go back and forth to that point in time when I was I growing up. It really made an impact on me.

Your best and worst memory with Megadeth.

CB:
Let’s start with the best. I would have to say that it was that big show in Sofia, Bulgaria. The crowd there was great, plus they had all those cameras, lights. The energy was very intense and the experience was truly exhilarating. Also in Warsaw, Poland we played in front of the biggest crowd you can dream of. Both of these shows were just insane.

And the worst one?

CB:
Tough to say, but last year I had that falling-on-stage spree: within a month I must’ve fallen at least 5-6 times during the show. I remember that one time in Oregon I tried to step over that lightning rig to get as close to the fans as possible, when I caught it with my heel, slipped and fell backwards. Landed on my head and it was damn painful. But I had to regain composure and keep on playing. I am sure it looked funny, but my head and neck hurt as hell.

It’s been almost two years since you came out with your 12th album Endgame. Rumor has it that you’re working on a new one. What is it going to be like? Will it be the best ever for Megadeth?

CB:
It’s true that we’ve been working on #13. Writing is almost all done, we are actually getting really close to finishing it. Will it be the best ever? I think so. The thing about the composing is that when you are working on it you are part of it. You almost have to “become” music that you create. You also have to believe in what you write and that it will be the best ever. Your music also matures with you over time, so I believe that each new album becomes the best one. And I am not being biased here.

You’re holding a record for most Grammy Awards nominations in the Best Metal Performance category without a win. Metallica grabbed that award 6 times. Do you feel cheated?

CB: (laughter) No, not really. We would win it next time, but unfortunately they discontinued this category (laughter). But to be honest with you I don’t really know who makes this award decision and I have no idea, if they truly represent views of the listeners. We know that people appreciate us and being nominated 9 times speaks for itself and cannot be depreciated.

Do you prefer touring over recording?

CB:
What I prefer most is composing music, then touring, then recording. Recording is my least favorite because you have to deal with tight deadlines and it’s all about getting things done. There is not so much creative thinking involved as it is when you’re composing. I like to “live” with the music and I think about new stuff all the time.

How different is touring in Europe/rest of the world in comparison to the US shows?

CB:
It depends, to me all shows are different. I think that in Europe - or other places outside of the US for that matter - they appreciate it more, because they get less exposure to big live music shows. We don’t go there every year, sometimes it takes years before we go back there, hence they are more “starved”. But it’s also very personal. It’s never for me to have an expectation of the crowd, because I know that some people go to see the show to listen to the music, others to go crazy in the mosh-pit or smoke a joint or jump off the stage. They are there for various reasons and their reactions are different.

Your band was always known for problems with drugs/alcohol, but you – on the other hand – have always taken good care of yourself. Do you still party hard or have you convinced the other guys to join the gym?CB: (laughter) No, the Party Time is over. When we are on the tour we will go to a social event or hang out with other bands, but it’s not like cracking the bottle open and tilt it down till it’s empty. We are not youngsters anymore, so we know, that if we want to give our best night in and night out we need to take care of ourselves. We know that once we get off the stage we need to recover for the next show. And we all do it according to our own needs. I see my guys in the gym every once in a while, but everyone has their own regiment.

You’re 41-years young and at that age you are the youngest member of the band – do they make you do stuff because of that?CB: Not at all! They don’t haze or harass me, don’t use me to fetch something over, nothing like that. But even though I like the way you’ve phrased it, that I am 41-years “young” it’s not like I am leaps and bounds behind them.

Before Megadeth you were with Jag Panzer and Nevermore – do you miss those bands?CB: Of course I miss those guys and try to stay in touch with them. It’s like with any good friend that you know is there, but you just cannot maintain a good, stable contact for whatever reason.

What is different about being with them and Megadeth?CB: The difference obviously is huge. When I was with them it was more relaxed and no so much hyped. Now with Megadeth the stage and pressure are bigger. It’s a lot to be content with although being under the microscope at all times can be tiring.

So you like being a Rockstar?

CB:
(laughter) I don’t know if I will ever be or feel like a “Rockstar”, but on occasion I will certainly try to act like one.

I saw a video of you in a bowling alley and another one with you waterskiing. You also visit the gym religiously and are very athletic. Do you have any favorite sport/team/player?

CB:
Before I would follow some sports, but I would really get into it. It would make me very angry if my team was losing, so I asked myself: why get so upset and emotionally involved over something like that? And now I really don’t have the time for it. I watch hockey, since I am from Colorado and X-games, since I am into snowboarding and water skiing. But it’s all in passing – when see it on TV I will watch it.

You mentioned “emotional involvement”, which brings me to my last question: what about family? You haven’t met that special someone yet?

CB:
No, that’s not it. I am just too busy at the moment. I am that kind of a person, that if I were to have a family I would totally devote myself to it. And I would not be able to tour. At this time I am focused on the band. That‘s the only thing that counts and I have going right now.

interview with Chris Broderick was conducted by Tomek MoczerniukFriday, June 24th 2011
papatomski@gmail.com
facebook.com/papatomski

Megadeth's photo: Stephanie Cabral

Links:
This interview also appeared on Blabbermouth:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160183

Brak komentarzy

Obsługiwane przez usługę Blogger.